Wheel man

The wheel is done but not without some drama and disappointment. The initial plan was to shape it, prime it and finish it with the Seymour custom rattle can lacquer from NPD. From there I’d do a spray out and see if that coating could be cleared. After shaping and high build primer a couple coats of Transtar epoxy primer is laid down.

Just a bit short of the 1:1 mix ratio with the activator. It still mixed and applied well.
Primed and ready for topcoat.
Topped with the rattle can lacquer.

Continue reading “Wheel man”

Steering wheel restoration

The steering wheel was baked from years in the sun. Rather than buying a reproduction I decided to refurbish the one I have. The repros are about $200. I have most of the material for this, the only thing I needed was panel bond so I’ve got about $35 out of pocket but it’s far more material than I need for this job. The cost of the materials used is well under $50 total including the finish paint. If you didn’t have the materials I would guesstimate $100-120 to buy it or just under $100 for a kit from Eastwood or the like. My goal is to use as many of the original parts as I can even if the cost to restore is at or near the replacement cost.

From years in the sun.
Continue reading “Steering wheel restoration”

Radio, radio

Not as much progress as I would like. Between some middle aged man maladies and a change of the schedule when the day gig goes dark for a couple of weeks the time is eaten away. I’ve hit some milestones, seats are well under way, the radio upgrade is complete and the steering wheel restoration is progressing.

Original AM radio.
Continue reading “Radio, radio”

Ladies and gentlemen the doors

With the carpet and seats underway the rest of the interior painting needs to be completed. The interior was painted during that mid 90s refresh with the other bits. I did find the paint used in a box with various parts, new and used, that were in the car. It wasn’t exactly Ivy Gold. When I first got the Ivy Gold for this after I did the spray out I noticed it was a fair bit off. The old can of Krylon in the box explains that. I don’t even know if they had period/material correct interior paint for the Ponys back then.

I like the paint. It’s Seymour rattle can lacquer mixed by NPD. While the color is a great match I’m not wild about the application. It’s prone to sputter and clogging unless you do some specific things. It’s a heavy bodied metallic and real lacquer. That’s awesome for the color but makes application a bit more difficult than rattle can enamel.

This is the back masking from painting various parts. Notice the amount of silver metallic overspray. It’s something that makes the application of this particular coating different from other coatings.
Continue reading “Ladies and gentlemen the doors”

Cranking on the interior

With the holidays over it’s time to start updating on the progress. It’s still been a slog. One thing leads to another leads to another. I am at the point where I’m able to start final assembly on the interior. But first here’s where we’ve been over the last month.

We’re using the carpet that came out of the car. It was installed in the mid 90s when the last refresh happened. It was dirty, the backing was trashed but otherwise it’s not in bad shape. With some jute backing from Mac’s, Tuff Stuff, a Spot Bot with Bissell heavy duty carpet shampoo and a bunch of elbow grease she whipped the carpet back into shape. Here’s the rear section, the front was the same thing.

Continue reading “Cranking on the interior”